Each year millions of us resolve to take better care of ourselves and families. Often this is a resolution to eat better, quit smoking, be more consistent with medicines, or even lose weight to get off a medication or two. Why not start the New Year with a clean medicine cabinet?
Gather all your medications and supplements together, and follow these guidelines:
- Take stock of what you have and refill chronic medications you will soon need.
- Expired or rarely used medications should be thrown out.
- If you have not used the medication or supplement in the last 6 months and do not see a likely need for it in the next 6 months dispose of this too.
- For tips on proper disposal, check out these guidelines on the FDA’s website or visit disposemymeds.org.
- If possible, store all the medications together for ease of use and convenience.
- Pain medications or other controlled substances should be safely stored out of reach of children and other “curious” adults.
You’ll be left with a cleaner, better organized, and smaller medication supply. This will also reduce the likelihood you go out and buy more allergy medication when Spring rolls around; because you know you already have some!
Happy New Year!