Preventative care is the care you receive to prevent illnesses or diseases. With the pandemic, the number of outpatient clinic visits have decreased. This is alarming as preventative care services have never been more important. Find out why preventative care is so crucial below.
Why You Should Put Preventative Care First
If left untreated, small health problems can turn into much larger health issues. When you discover a disease early, you have more treatment options. Unfortunately, we know that people with chronic health conditions are at greater risk of severe complications if they contract COVID-19. Therefore, it is so important to know your health status. Preventative care allows you to take extra precautions for your health so you can keep your chronic conditions managed.
Preventative Care Services Include:
- Wellness Visits and Standard Immunizations
- Screenings for blood pressure, cancer, cholesterol, depression, obesity, and diabetes
- Pediatric screenings for hearing, vision, development disorders, depression, and obesity
Stress and Preventative Care
Stress is at an all-time high due to the coronavirus pandemic. Elevated stress is connected to several health illnesses as it can increase a person’s risk for heart disease, weaken the immune system, cause migraines, and increase blood pressure. Your wellbeing is important, take care of your mental and physical health by getting preventative care to make certain that your immune system is prepared for whatever comes your way.
Safety Measures for Preventive Care Visits
You do not have to feel worried about physically returning to the doctor’s office as outpatient clinics are taking a lot of precautions to ensure patient safety during visits. Some of these measures include:
- Enforcing masks
- Temperature checks
- Social distancing
- Separate sick patients with symptoms
To get more information on how clinics are preparing for visits view: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/clinic-preparedness.html
Benefits of Preventative Care
There are several different why people should practice preventative health care:
- Improves your health in the long-term- Your healthcare professional can identify health concerns before they become a problem. For example, during regular wellness checkups blood pressure if tested. If your health professional notices that it is increasing, they can provide you with tips on how to lower it before it becomes severe.
- Increases lifespan
- Avoid high medical expenses- Preventative care is a lot less expensive than only going to seek help when a problem arises.
- 90% of people who are prediabetic do not even know it
- Many people do not exhibit any warning signs of a stroke until they have one
- Numerous forms of cancer do not produce symptoms until they are much more difficult to treat
- 30%-plus declines in preventive care visits, vaccinations, cancer screenings place Americans at greater risk of chronic conditions and advanced diseases
Preventative care is necessary for the quality of your health. It allows you to catch/prevent diseases before they become problematic. Take extra precautions during this pandemic by staying up to date with all your preventative care visits.
Do you have any questions regarding preventative care?
Tria Health provides one-on-one confidential counseling with a pharmacist for any of your medication related questions. If Tria Health is currently a part of your healthcare plan, call the Tria Health Help desk today for any of your questions.
Tria Help Desk: 1.888.799.8742