National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
Key Goals for the Month2
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods every day.
- Plan your meals each week.
- Learn skills to create tasty meals.
- Consult a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) to develop a healthy eating plan.
How to Participate
If you want to start eating healthier, there are many ways to get involved in National Nutrition Month.
- Find inspiration: If you are bored with your recipes, try out a new cookbook. Pinterest is also a great place to look to discover new healthy recipes.1
- Add color: Put natural color on your plate such as bright greens from vegetables or reds from tangy fruit.1
- Pack your lunch: According to Harvard Health Publishing, by packing your own lunch you can better control portion sizes.1
- Meet with a Registered Dietician Nutritionist: They can provide you with a personalized meal plan that fits your lifestyle. 1
- Physical activity: Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Keep it simple: Eating right does not have to be complicated.3
- Select healthier options when eating away from home.3
When we eat nourishing foods, we feel better. To celebrate National Nutrition Month, check out these 10 delicious healthy recipes: 10 Healthy Recipes To Celebrate National Nutrition Month | HuffPost Canada (huffingtonpost.ca)
Chronic Conditions and Nutrition
If you have a chronic condition, a carefully planned diet can make a difference. With certain diseases, what you eat may reduce symptoms. In other cases, diet can improve health. Although your diet might differ depending on your condition and lifestyle, there are three keys to a healthy eating plan that will work for diabetes, heart health, cancer prevention and weight management:
- Eat meals and snacks regularly (at planned times).
- Eat about the same amount of food at each meal or snack.
- Choose healthful foods to support a healthy weight and heart.
Contact the Tria Health Help Desk at 1.888.799.8742